The plugin, Fontself Maker, allows users to create fonts using various materials. Using your imagination and knowledge of Photoshop and Illustrator, you can unleash the artist in you by creating fonts that are unique and entirely yours.
It is quite fun to play with, but useful as well. You can make crazy or elegant, beautiful fonts using Fontself and your imagination.
The sky’s the limit when it comes to this plugin and you can maximize its use if you don’t hold yourselves back when exploring possible designs and materials.
Fontself Maker Features
- Fontself can be installed on your favorite creative software and turn it into font creation tools,
- Create fonts in just a couple of minutes,
- Turn any image, photo or texture into a color bitmap font,
- Allows you to edit,previewandinstallfontswithinIllustrator,
- Allows Kerning,
- Runs on PC and Mac.
Fontself Quick Tutorial
Fontself Maker not only allows you to create your own fonts beautifully but easily as well.
Here’s a simple tutorial on how you can use Fontself Maker:
- Simplydragthen drops any letter, icon or symbol to the Fontself Maker panel and creates a font.
- You can also use your own lettering as material, but you should clean the image first using Photoshop’s tools.
- Next, you can adjust kerning, create alternates and ligatures.
- Next is to export it as standard vector OpenType .otf font file in one click.
- You can also make OpenType-SVG color vector fonts from Illustrator.
Don’t forget to preview and edit if necessary.
Final Thoughts on Fontself Maker
Fontself is a great tool in making your own fonts. You would benefit from it if you are a professional designer or just someone who loves exploring their artistic side.
Instead of sticking with the generic fonts you have on your PC, you can create your own based on your taste or project theme.
Fontself for Illustrator & Photoshop can only run on CC 2015.3, 2015.5, 2017 & 2018. Sadly, it will not run on CC 2014, 2015.0 or CS6.
The color and vector fonts are only supported in Photoshop CC 2017+ and Illustrator CC 2018. This means you will need an upgrade if you want to try these features.